WHAT IS NOW THE POUND HOUSE MUSEUM was built by Dr. J.M. Pound in 1852. The Pound family operated the farm for more than 130 years. The home was a hospital and a church before being donated to the city as a museum. Dr. Pound, the earliest doctor in Hays County, served in the Mexican and Civil wars, and four generations of his family lived in the home. Restoring the home has been an ongoing community project, now in its eighth year.
The oldest existing building in Dripping Springs is the log room of the Pound House, built in 1855 and located in Founders Park. Descendants of Dr. and Mrs. Pound lived in the Pound House until 1983. Many of the Pound descendants and a few of the Wallace descendants still live in the area.*
The Museum’s official name is the Dr. Joseph M. and Sarah Pound Historical Museum and is open on Saturdays from 10 am to 2 pm.
Click History for more historical information on Dripping Springs.
Please call (512) 858-2030 for further information or to arrange a group tour.